This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

aerial

aerial

Its been a great weekend for garden work.

I planted a new cutting garden to the right of my cold frame. One of my favorite roses is in the center, Mr Lincoln, a deep red hybrid tea. Also in this plot are, blue summer asters, yellow calendulas, mixed giant zinnias, pink sensation cosmos, Canterbury bells, feverfew, pink echinacea, and a couple types of lavender. I also found my giant orange dahlia tubers that I saved in the back of the basement and planted them in the flower plot them today.

I also filled up my vegetable garden. I planted 17 tomato plants and my husband put up the support poles. The tomato varieties I have are: New Girl, Big Beef, Orange Blossom, Pink Beauty, Cherokee Purple, Oxheart Red, Box Car Willie, Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine, Giant Belgium, Opalka, San Marzano, and Purple Calabash.

And I planted eggplants (only Black Beauty), and peppers: Numex Joe Parker, Poblano, Sweet Red, Sweet Yellow, Sweet Chocolate, Nardello, Costa Rican Red, Thai Hot and Amelia's Cayenne.

I will squeeze in rows of greens under next to the tomatoes. I want to remember to plant dill, arugula and borage soon. Also more lettuce.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

I know this is kinda random, but do you have any recommendations for keeping groundhogs away? They have been sneaking into our community garden in Princeton...

May 17, 2010 8:46 PM

 
Blogger Toni said...

Love the aerial view! Looks so pretty and tidy! What a great cold frame... and your rhododendron is beautiful!

May 18, 2010 7:31 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

Looking good! Busy time of year for sure yet I have not planted anything lately. Need to get moving :-)

May 18, 2010 11:45 PM

 
Anonymous John Craine said...

The cold frame looks great, so full of life. I need to find time to build one for myself.

May 20, 2010 7:48 AM

 
Anonymous Marian(LondonUK) said...

You are so organised! I sowed some stuff before my holiday and now have to get moving or my Lottie will be veg-less. Your coldframe has been a great bonus, lovely crops to eat already.
Marian(LondonUK)

May 20, 2010 9:08 AM

 
Blogger Toni said...

Kathy, how big is your cold frame? It looks like you have a LOT of plants in there!

May 22, 2010 9:46 PM

 
Blogger jibblett said...

kathy - love your blog and read every update! are your home garden tomato supports conduit with twine for the plants to climb?

May 23, 2010 5:44 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Yes, I will use twine soon to support the tomato plants. Any day now I will get the twine up.

May 23, 2010 8:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden