This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

woodland wildflowers

bellwort wood violet
budded trillium jack in the pulpit
wood anemones

On a drizzly and cool afternoon, Skippy and I went hunting in the woods for early spring wildflowers. We found many. I think many more than in previous years. In some areas, I just stopped and starred - amazed. The woods were blanketed with flowering natives: a mix of anemones, Solomon seal, Lily of the Valley, geraniums, foam flower, bellwort, wild roses, Jack-in-the-Pulpit, trillium, wood violets and even showy lady's slipper. Amazing. And beautiful. Several are still budded and I will have to return here to watch them open.

wildflowers

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

A common post today, I posted about the same thing :-) We have been touring around the country side the last few weeks exploring. Lots out that's for sure. Nice shot of the jack-in-the-pulpit.

April 28, 2010 1:06 AM

 
Anonymous Brandon said...

Very nice!

April 28, 2010 9:45 AM

 
Blogger Garden Dreamer said...

Wood violets seem to growing everywhere this year. Also I saw some bluets for the first time this year growing amongst the daffodils. Simply Beautiful.

April 28, 2010 11:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden