This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

transplanting sweet potato slips

sweets 085 sweets 088

I cut up my sprouted sweet potatoes today and potted them up in a tray of soil.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Donald said...

Wait untill the slip gets about a foot long then root in water. I dont think rooting in dirt is a good idea. Leave them in water and harden them off as you would a tomato plant then plant the bare root in your garden.

April 09, 2010 4:16 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

They seemed to need more than water to grow faster.

April 09, 2010 9:28 PM

 
Anonymous Donald said...

After they reach 1 ft.They need the water to grow roots. Growing in zone 5 or 6 will work. Im not sure why you have them in dirt. Its way too early for that. Once bare root slips are ready they can stay in a glass of water for 2 months until its warm enuff to plant outdoors. The goal is to have bare root slips. they work the best.

April 14, 2010 8:18 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Do you leave them on the potato until they are 1 foot?

April 14, 2010 8:35 PM

 
Anonymous Donald said...

Yes

April 15, 2010 3:43 AM

 
Anonymous Donald said...

After i grew Sweet Potatoes for a few years i found this guy who wrote a book on this subject.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~allan/sweet_potatoes_flyer.html

April 15, 2010 3:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden