This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Monday, July 20, 2009

pea green

peas and pod

I picked a big handful of peas yesterday. A very small yeild for my big patch and big hopes. But, still a very pretty bowl of green.

(I think my main problem with the peas this year was slugs and lack of sun. I would have thought the cool wet weather would have been perfect. I planted more two weeks ago and these are growing great. Much better than my spring germination and growth rates. They are in a very shaded part of the garden so they may do best here in mid summer.)

The peas topped off a yummy paella my husband made in his new paella grill. Can't beat it!

the paella chef and his sidekick
paella with peas bowl of shelled peas

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

They look yummy!

July 20, 2009 12:51 PM

 
Blogger Tyra in Vaxholm said...

It looks so delicious! Yum yum

July 20, 2009 1:18 PM

 
Blogger Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

Looks so mouth watering! I just pulled out my pea plants last weekend. They were done for the season. I had a low yield too. I agree I think it was due to so little sun and too much rain. But, the small harvest I did have was very sweet. -Jackie

July 20, 2009 3:30 PM

 
Blogger Chef Phil and Malinda said...

I had a good yeild on my peas planted yellow and blue peas; i just pulled the plants and planted more. I so enjoy your blog and photos!!

July 20, 2009 6:02 PM

 
Anonymous Katrien said...

Look at Skippy in that picture, licking his lips already!

July 20, 2009 7:51 PM

 
Blogger Toni said...

Love that photo of your peas!!! Should be framed and hung in your kitchen!

What a nice outside kitchen you have!!!

July 20, 2009 10:32 PM

 
Anonymous Tiffany said...

I too had a smaller yeild than expected, but the one I did get where very good. Maybe next year I will try out some innoculent. BTW your peas look great!

July 20, 2009 10:58 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

I think Skippy is actually wiping his nose, but cute anyway...

July 20, 2009 11:12 PM

 
Blogger Matron said...

Skippy is licking his lips!! I hope you gave him his fair share of paella.

July 21, 2009 4:28 AM

 
OpenID nipitinthebud said...

how lovely to be able to cook outside

July 21, 2009 2:07 PM

 
Blogger Kirstin said...

That looks yummy, so does your outdoor cooking area

July 21, 2009 11:12 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

I've always wanted to get a paella pan! Skippy looks like he is ready for dinner.

July 22, 2009 12:25 AM

 
Anonymous Dawnie (CT) said...

I had planted Green Arrow, Sugar Ann and Super Sugar Snap. None of them did very well; barely got anything! Last year, too, with the Super Sugar Snap. I guess I'll try again and sow more seed.

July 22, 2009 12:31 AM

 
Blogger alice said...

Hi Chef! I could use some of your great food/cooking. I like the way Skippy is licking his lips...yummm.

July 24, 2009 11:35 AM

 
Blogger kathy said...

Dawnie, try inoculant. I find it really improves the pea harvest. I forgot to order it in 2009 and will remember this year.

January 17, 2010 12:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden