Monday, July 13, 2009

garden work

Yesterday I spent several hours at my plot. Aside from weed whacking and pruning the weeds in the community garden paths, I:

- chopped down the Red Gold potato plants and two more tomato plants because of blight
- dug all the fingerling potatoes volunteers from the path
- dug one plant of Red Gold's
- pulled fat green caterpillars off the cabbage
- watched the favas and zucchini grow for a while
- admired the lettuce
- harvested on garlic bulb to see if they're ready yet
- sprayed potato and tomato plants heavily with copper soap

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

What is copper soap? Is this effective on the blight?

Thanks in advance!

Unknown said...

I love vegetable garden and spent most of my time in my garden,

makhappy522 said...

Was the garlic bulb ready?

Tina said...

Very happy to read that you watch your plants growing closely, too! I thought there might be something wrong with me…

kathy said...

I have no idea what copper soap actually is. The brand I bought is called "Concern" and it was in a nice spray bottle at the hardware store. It works well against blight on my tomatoes it seems to me.

Th garlic bulb was fine, but I probably should have let it sit int eh sun to dry a week or so as the wrappers were thick.

Tina, I think its considered OK as long as you don't talk to them. (I generally pretend its Skippy I'm talking to.)