Monday, April 20, 2009

today's planting list

potato bed onion bed
planted beds

Planted at my plot:
Potatoes, dark red Norland, 6 ft of row
Potatoes, russet, 6 ft of row
Potatoes, Red Gold, 6 ft of row
Potatoes, Green Mountain, 6 ft of row
Onion sets, Stuttgarter, 2x4 ft of row

At the top left is my potato bed. I dug two trenches and then planted the potatoes about 4 inches deep at the bottom of the trench. As the plants grow, I'll fill in the dirt. A 4 foot wide bed is the absolute minimum to dig two potato trenches and pile the dirt in the center. Wider would have been better.

At the top right is the place I planted the onion sets. Just a few so far. I plant the sets about 3-4 inches apart and pull every other one early for green onions and let the rest grow big.

Things still look pretty bare and the weather is chilly (40's-50's). But the crocus are fading, daffodils are opening, and the lilac leaves are growing fast.

9 comments:

Jennifer Swanton Brown said...

Hi Kathy -- I'm so impressed with your diligence and discipline -- I wish all your vegetables well. Our garden is mostly nothing/weeds this year -- the remodel has taken care of that. Oh well. I will live vicariously through Skippy (and Alice).
Jennifer

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I am loving reading all about your garden plot. I can't wait to see pictures of everything all grown up!

Holly Everton said...

Kathy I am new to reading your blog and love it wish I cuold keep such great record and need to start but where do you buy your seeds? I need to get starter potatoes and don't have a clue where the best place to buy them would be

Holly

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy & Skippy!
if you have anytime to give me advice with regards to this...
http://thecatskillkiwi.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/things-i-learned-this-weekend/

its really the about the 3rd picture down.... first time "green"gardener

kathy said...

I get my seeds from my local True Value hardware store. Also online from Burpee, Botanical Interests, Fedco, Johnny's Selected Seeds, Park Seed, Reimer Seeds, Sand Hill Preservation Center and others.

I also get seeds by trading and I grow some myself.

My potatoes are from Fedco, but there are lots of good sources for them.

Here's a post of mine with links to these comapnies.

Dan said...

Thanks for posting about onion set spacing. I planted some this evening, 3" apart as the package said and thought they looked awfully close. I will thin as green onions as well then.

Your Dad's patch looks great. I'd love to have a nice flat traditional vegetable garden. My Grandfather who is Dutch has a big vegetable garden as well. It has deep, rich, black soil and is always filled with vegetables.

Jeff in Portland said...

Enjoying your spring posts!

We're always on the look out for cool birdbaths/feeders and what not to entertain the cat as he looks out on our kitchen garden. Where'd you find that wrought iron + ceramic number in the photo?

Thanks!

kathy said...

Sorry I can't seem to remember anything about where I got that bird bath. I'm just drawing a complete blank. As I remember it came with a different bowl that I broke and the one in there is a standard pot saucer, which fits nicely.

chicago dyke said...

manure. i knew it was time to put them in. i haven't gotten around to it yet. but i'm not lazy! i have flooding issues, dammit.

i have a funny potato story that will be funnier when i see how they do this year. sigh.