Thursday, November 22, 2007

thanksgiving day

blog thanksgiving0001
Thanksgiving Day was beautifully warm. In the 60's, with yellow leaves falling on the outdoor table. Our tradition is to grill a turkey. The food prep is a family event, accompanied by conversation and wine. The kids run and play. Dinner is traditional fare: turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, homemade breads and cranberry sauce. Then pies for dessert.

This year I didn't do much with produce from my own garden. I used lots of fresh garden sage, thyme, parsley and rosemary. But I didn't have time to prepare dishes from vegetables that are growing now: kale, chard and beets. I picked lots of arugula, but it was incredibly strong. Too peppery and bitter to eat. It made a nice garnish.

2 comments:

Michael said...

really excellent camera work! your thanksgiving feast looks so cozy & happy.

first time i've visited your blog. i miss the midwest & chicago, and i think i like the IDEA of winter and cold and snow... but today i picked beans and tomatoes and winter squash and chard and radishes... life is easy in the subtropics in december! ask me again, tho, while i slap the mosquitoes as i mow in november...

kathy said...

Thanks for the compliments. My photography actually did not do justice to the gathering. It was fantastic, delicious and a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I don't post photos of people and Thanksgiving is about the people who get together. Anyway...

I spent many years growing up in Florida (around North Palm Beach) and I can't agree with you more - in the winter.