Monday, December 02, 2013

chickens love squash....

Copy of 003 My chickens are growing, and happy. I'm checking for eggs, none yet.

Their favorite foods seem to be: cooked squash, sweet potatoes and garlic mashed potatoes! Yummy. They've done a great job with our Thanksgiving leftovers. Other favorites: honeydew melon, corn-on-the-cob, kale, lettuce, cream cheese and cottage cheese.

Today I went out to check on the girls, but unfortunately didn't have time to spend with them. They clucked with pleasure to see me. Guess they're getting the idea that I bring them good food. I've also been letting them out of their coop to forage in the yard about an hour a day. I only do this when I have time to watch them. I either leave the dogs in the house or hold them on a leash. I'm still not sure what dangers there are for the chickens out of the coop.

Suzie is very excited by the chickens and loves to get as close as she can and sniff them. They don't let her get very close. But Skippy is another story. He seemed to be uninterested for a long time, then charged. Fortunately the chickens were faster than him. They scattered and hid under the coop. So, its Skip I'm watching out for. He learned they are fast, but he may be faster next time.....

6 comments:

Rachel @ Grow a Good Life said...

Chickens are so much fun! I started my first flock this year. Two have begun laying and they give us an egg each almost every day, but the rest don't seem to be interested and may not lay until daylight increases. We have two dogs too. Luckily our yellow lab, Bradie has had some experience with chickens when our neighbor's flock visited the yard. I trained her to be "easy" and she seemed only interested in trying to sniff their butts. Now that we have our own flock, she doesn't pay them much attention. Our other dog is a golden mix, Millie. She wanted to charge the chickens at first until we told her it wasn't ok. We are lucky with our two dogs, because they are older.

Connie said...

I love how it looks like the chickens are chowing down on a Thanksgiving plate!

Green Zebra Market Garden said...

One word of caution on the garlic mashed potatoes. Anything you feed to your chickens with a strong flavor or aroma can end up flavoring their eggs. I avoid feeding onions and garlic to my hens for that reason. However, it could be a good thing if you're cooking a savory dish!

kathy said...

Thanks zebra, but No eggs YET. I've had the girls 2 weeks as of tomorrow. So they are now 20 - 24 weeks old. I can't wait to taste a home raised egg. Im Jealous of Rachel's laying hens.

Anonymous said...

THEY EAT EVERYTHING! We've had our since they were 3 weeks old and they are now 22 weeks. No eggs yet, but they may not start laying until the spring when there is more sunlight. We are happy with them tho, especially the kids, we have 4 kids and 5 chickens so we all have one - Daisy, Lilly, Pluto (after the no more planet!) and Sonic (as in the hedgehog), as if you cant tell the two are named from my youngest boys ages 5 and 4....! My husband named mine Ostrich. He is strange like that! They are truly hilarious!!!! Have fun! Ps. My daughters name is Ginger - and she lives up to that spicy name :)

kathy said...

Well yesterday they loved melon and today they wouldn't touch it. I think because they filled up with pumpkin lasagna. How much should I be feeding them anyway? A cup, two cups? And should I just plop it on the dirt of their run? Or in a nice clean bowl... They step in it either way. First bertha, then ginger. Chickens are so funny. I'm just giving them as much food as they want . I tell them they owe me ... eGGS.