Wednesday, November 28, 2012

today's harvest

harvest and Skip nov 28

Today, I harvested the last of my leeks, 2 tiny heads of savoy cabbage, 2 big heads of bok choi, a few tiny beets, a giant bunch of kale, and 4 or 5 big heads of frizzy escarole.

There was snow still in the center of the bok choi, left over from a light dusting we got last night. The air temp was right about freezing as I harvested, 33*F, I think. The ground is not yet frozen, but is icy cold. My hands got very chilly and muddy as I harvested. I took my time and enjoyed what is probably my last day out in the garden for a while.

After wandering and admiring this and that, oblivious to everything else, I realized Skippy had stolen my mittens. He snuck up to the chair where I put them and took both of them. Then he left the garden quickly with them and started barking at me. That teaser! I was taking way too long and delaying his walk. I chased him a while - we both had fun. I eventually got both mittens back, warmed my hands AND Skippy got a nice walk.

My harvest filled 3 grocery bags quite nicely. As I left with my bags, I was thinking how I enjoy this so much more than going to a grocery store.

Now all that's left outside in my gardens is kale. Our forecast is for more chilly weather to come.

harvest bags nov 28 harvest bok choi nov 28
harvest snowy bok choi nov 28 harvest nov 28
harvest esc nov 28

6 comments:

shireen asous said...

Hello--I am a MBA student at the university of Arizona, and I am conducting a survey geared towards grafted vegetable plants. My team and I are building an indoor vegetable plant grafting operation in Tucson, AZ a project through our entrepreneurship program. We are seeking feedback from gardeners whether currently using grafted plants or not. Hopefully, through our resources and technological advancements we will be able to grow the kind of grafted plant you would be willing to pay a premium for. We would really appreciate it if you could take the survey and share it with your community. Below is the link:



https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6KAwiBhje7hE3xb



Thank you
Shireen Asous
Info@graftedgrowers.com
Www.graftedgrowers.com

kathy said...

I just took your survey. I hope it is helpful for you. I was confused as I do not know what kind of plant you are grafting.

Can you make late blight resistant tomato plants?

Melons that grow in NE?

Corn that grows in a small plot and isn't eaten by borers?

Summer squash that is resistant to stem borers?

Bok choi that isn't eaten by cabbage worms?

Radicchio that doesn't bolt?

Peas that grow all winter under the snow?

I have more on my wish list.....

Cary said...

Hi Kathy, Love your blog! Do you do anything to keep cabbage moths from eating your brassicas? I hate having to reapply BT and do not use other poisons, and wonder if you have a secret. My brassicas this year were inundated by cabbage worm, very sad. Thanks for any ideas!

kathy said...

Cary,

I just use row cover.

of course you have to get this on early. I put it on as soon as I see any nibbling on plants, or white butterflies in the area. First search the soil and plants well and remove the green worms already there. Then put on floating cover, secure it well in the soil all around the row or patch of plants, and leave it there until the plants are big.

Last year I covered my spring broccoli, cabbage and kale seedlings as soon as I set them out. I left the covers on til the plants were over a foot high. By mid summer a little worm damage on a big plant isn't so bad, but the worms can eat an entire small plant.

This reminds me that I need to order a new role of floating row cover this year. I got a giant roll fro Johnny's (probably meant for a farmer's field) a few years ago and never thought I run out.

Good luck.

Cary said...

Thanks so much Kathy. I've avoided buying floating row cover for years and now that I am addicted to greens of all makes and models, I better protect them. My first crop in this new garden was stellar, but in subsequent years, the word is out and the bugs come for huge party time. Off to Johnny's to shop, yay!

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Lovely harvest and photographs Kathy. The mitten story made me laugh, cheeky Skippy. I have just seen footage on BBC website of
Mr. Obama's dog wandering around the White House examining the decorations, he is a cutie too!
Keep warm in the chill!
Marian (LondonUK)