Friday, October 05, 2012

bok choy varieties

bok choy Win-Win Choi 061 Bok choy, Win-Win Choi

bok choy Mei Qing Choi 077 Bok choy, Mei Qing Choi

I have finally found a really great bok choi variety. Win-Win Choi is sooooo good! It looks beautiful in my garden and is fantastic stir-fried with garlic, ginger. One of my favorite vegetables!

I haven't tried my Mei Qing Choi yet. It seems maybe its taking longer to mature and doesn't have the nice white stems. I am looking forward to trying it.

Other varieties I have tried have bolted fast, or have been too cabbagy. I may fill my garden with yummy Win-Win!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been following your blog for gardening tips since I'm a transplant from the southeast. I just had to chime in on this post.

The bottom Bok Choi variety is sometimes called "baby bok choi" and it won't get the bright white stem you describe. It will remain a pale green. The current pic you have of the Mei Qing Choi looks ready to eat now. It is more tender and sweet, so try stirfrying it as you know how, but with a little less spices so you can taste its more delicate flavors. It will also cook a little faster.

Enjoy!

admin said...

Believe I'll give Win-Win a try...been shopping around for a good bok choi the last few seasons and haven't settled on anything yet.

kathy said...

Thanks! I'll go pick that Baby today.