Wednesday, September 05, 2012

planting seeds for winter my cold frame

Today I planted a full tray of seeds. Several varieties of lettuce, as well as escarole, spinach, arugula and broccoli. These are plants that will fill my cold frame during the winter. Since the light level gets too low for plants to grow by about November 10 here, I would like to have these plants pretty much full grown by then. That is about 8 weeks or 50 days from now.

I planted the seeds in seed cells and will grow them indoors under lights for a few weeks. My cold fame is still very full with summer plants - cucumbers, tomatoes, and eggplants. I suspect these summer plants will peter out by the end of September and then by mid Oct I can plant the cold frame with the greens.

1 comment:

becky3086 said...

Sounds like a plan. I ordered some more seeds yesterday for my garden and I see they have broccoli plants in the store. I with they would get more variety!