Monday, June 01, 2015

rain, yeah!!

After nearly an entire month with no rain, we have a 3-day rain storm! Yeah! It should soak deep into the ground and perk up my plants. (And it gives me a chance to catch up on indoor stuff, like my blog.)

These seedlings got flooded in the first hour of our 3-day storm. I moved them out of the trays right after the photo, so they are fine now.

flooded seedlings IMG_2796 Before the rain, I was sending up clouds of dust when I walked in my garden paths at my community garden. I mulched them, I tried to mulch everything. I tried to water regularly, but often didn't have time to drive over there. My garlic suffered, I lost a few and some are not growing as well as they should. I will have to buy new seed garlic this year - or save much of my crop and buy farmers Market garlic to eat. I am hoping my onions do OK. I think the potatoes will be fine.

3 comments:

Lara said...

It has been a strange dry spring so far in my area of Northern Minnesota too. When it rains I just want to stand outside in it and soak it in. Hopefully your summer will be wetter than your spring!

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Hi Kathy, we were grateful for rain last weekend too and we should get a few heavy storms today, yippee! When I speak to friends and acquaintances who don't garden and say "some lovely rain coming!", they look at me like I am nuts. Had lots of strong winds too though which wasn't good for those whose beans and corn are up and running, lots of twisted off leaves. Nature keeps us greenies on our toes!

Marian(LondonUK)

edible gardens--point loma said...

Odd for you to go without rain for a month at this time of year. We are all making adjustments. I had a poor showing on the garlic for lack of winter rain in San Diego and my inattention. Interestingly, the shallots seemed to do much better though the bulbs were not large.