Sunday, March 15, 2015

Boston breaks its all-time snow fall record!

As of tonight, Boston officially has had 108.6 inches (9.05 ft, 2.76 meters) of snow this season, topping a all previous records back to 1872. I was trying to find the snowfall total for the western suburbs of the city, where my garden is, as we have gotten quite a bit more than Boston. I'll add it here if I find it. Like everyone else in the area, I'm thinking:

"All right already! Let's have Spring now!!"

The Boston Globe wrote last week that, given the amount of snow cover we have now (officially 15 inches now in my town) and the rate its melting, we'll likely have snow on the ground til mid-April. MID-APRIL!! By then, I usually have a backyard full of crocus and daffodils. I often have peas and fava beans a couple inches high; my garden beds are surely turned and ready to plant by mid-April. I often have lettuce, onion and kale seedlings hardened off and ready to plant.

I guess we'll have to play it by ear this year in the garden. Go with the flow, wing it, see how it goes .... And, yes, I'm still planting by the calendar because who knows what will actually happen.

I heard someone say "Since we've broken the all time snow record, let's see if we can break the all time sun record next!" Yes! Or how about the all-time best gardening weather ever.

No comments: