Monday, August 18, 2014

red sauce

red sauce My tomato bowl filled up again today, so time to make red sauce.

When I make red sauce I peel, seed and chop tomatoes, then simmer about an hour. More detail: I boil a big pan of water and then put a few tomatoes at a time in it for about 1 minute till their skin starts to split. Remove and cool. Then peel skin. I squeeze out as many seeds as I can, then chop the pulp. I put all tomato pulp in a big pan and simmer, stirring occasionally till it is as thick as you want it. Usually about 1 hour of simmering.

My mom has extra tomatoes too this year (what a great year!) and wants to make sauce, but my skinning and seeding steps seem to much work. (They go fast for me since I have a routine.) My brother said to whirl the tomatoes in a blender and then boil them down. She thinks this sounds easier than peeling them all. My brother said the blender is good enough so you don't have pieces of skin. What do you think? My mom will try this sometime this week and see how it goes. I am looking forward to her report.

I have tried before to just core the tomatoes and cook them down. Can't get any easier. I cut them in half, thinking I'd pull out as much skin as I could. Here's a post I did on this: short-cut red sauce. It was a really really delicious sauce with lots of tomato varieties also squash and carrots added, but I ended up taking a lot of time trying to remove the skin and wasn't successful at taking out much of it so I ended up pureeing it.

After reading my old recipe, I think I will add some summer squash and carrots to my red sauce tonight.

4 comments:

kathy said...

Yes, I love these. I love these. J have a very old crank tomato processor. I use it when have tons of tomatoes to processes. I should see if my mom would like one.

Janice said...

Last year I halved and roasted plum tomatoes and garlic. Put them in a bowl and whirred it with a hand-held blender. You would never know that the skins were left on.

kathy said...

I hope my mom doesn't mind that I add her report on her tomato sauce here.

"I did boil down the tomatoes this afternoon. I had 2 blenders full--so quite a few. I boiled it down after blending and I think it came out really good. I did not add anything--figuring I would add stuff when I served it. I think wine would be a nice touch. I did put some over pasta tonight--just plain--and it was delicious. Yum! No problem with peels, you don't even notice that they are in there somewhere! Very good method for excess tomatoes. I cannot believe how many tomatoes I still have left. The best gardening year we have ever had, bar none!!! I think I will continue to do the blending and boiling down in small batches as my tomato excess drives me out of the kitchen! I also have excesses of everything else too."

Thomas Generazio said...

I just use a cheap 20 dollar hand cranking food mill. It works great! I cook the tomatoes down a bit with the skins on then run them through the mill. Couldn't be easier.