This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

frozen garden plot

frozen garden plot 005

I haven't even opened the gate in a couple months now. Everything is frozen and drab.

I'm glad I was able to put a good layer of hay down as this winter has been brutal for the overwintering plants. We've had wide swing in temperatures and very little snow cover.

Somewhere under the hay is 100 garlic shoots, a 4 year old bed of asparagus, a clump of Egyptian walking onions, a big crown of rhubarb, a few strawberry and raspberry plants, roots from my two espaliered pear trees, and a bunch of perennial flowers.

Amazingly enough, the walking onions still look green.

walking onions

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden