Saturday, November 17, 2012

my how-to videos are ready


A couple weeks ago, Skippy and I shot some garden "how-to" videos. Well, it was certainly mostly the work of our video producer to put these together. Skippy and I just goofed off and had fun in the garden and Alan Mack (Spinning Horse Productions) did an amazing job to make it all come together.

I was pretty nervous to do this project, as I've never done video before (neither has Skip, though I don't think he was all that nervous). I hope these videos are helpful to gardeners. I would appreciate any input about content or quality. Demand Video (E-How) sponsored them. They develop products that address the specific topics for which people are searching information.

Topics they asked me to do for my "Fall Garden" set include:

How to harvest perennial onions
How to plant pea seeds in the fall
How to remove dahlias
How to store dahlia tubers
How to grow sprouted garlic
How to save seeds and start a life saving garden
How to harvest chile peppers
How to protect seeds with burlap
How to harvest summer squash
How to pick squash
Easiest way to grow leeks

I hope you enjoy these videos. Many of them have Skippy in them. The other black dog is Skippy's girl friend Koby - Alan's black lab. They look calm in the videos, but they had the run of the garden when the camera was off!!!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is the link to the videos?

kathy said...

I just now added a few. It will take me a little while to get the rest of the links added. Thanks for asking.

cennis said...

Well, I've definitely been planting my seeds too sparsely. I'm putting some Sugar Snap Peas in this weekend. Thanks for the tip on the inoculant.

If Video suits you, maybe think about a Youtube channel.

Donald said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmYjwinOTv4 Excellant Video Kathy: Nice and smooth transitions between scenes good stuff. Enclosed is an updated Watermelon Film From Donald

Anonymous said...

These videos are great! I love that the dahlias are stored in a bag from Ben Franklin (I'd know those green checked bags anywhere!)

Anonymous said...

Love your videos! When is dinner?

kathy said...

Donald I am jealous! OMG That is a fantastic looking watermelon!!! MY biggest ones were about 5 lbs.

Tomato Thymes said...

Kathy you should have your own TV show. Perhaps WGBH could have you do the Victory Garden that way it used to be.... with real victory gardens. You would be great!!!

Lisa

Lili's vegetable garden said...

Thanks so much for this!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, Awesome videos. I moved this year fron New Englend to Washington. had to leave my fall vegetables in the garden. Will see how the gardening will be here in Seattle.
Huli

Diane C said...

Fantastic videos. I love that they'll be there whenever I need to review the advice.

Urban Gardening said...

I was looking for exact this information from here to there. & finally its on your blog. I'm going to share this with my friend through facebook.

Lucy said...

fantastic video Kathy, you looked a natural in front of the lense. thoroughly enjoyed watching you pass on your tips.

diary of a tomato said...

Thanks so much for the video on perennial onions! I've been growing them for several years from seed given to me by an ornamental gardener, and am still learning how to use them in the kitchen. I've come to appreciate how they're the first thing up in spring here in Maine.

Nicky Altieri said...

Thank you so much. I have not heard of the Egyptian Walking Onions but will now have to find and use.
I am happy to see you expand to video.
Best wishes from California.

Greg said...

Found your blog a week ago. Ordered Egyptian Walking Onions as an experiment after seeing your video and blog post about them.

Regards from Maryland.

edible gardens--point loma said...

Very nice short videos, Kathy. Clear, direct, friendly and useful. Thank you for sharing these. Susan Martin

pam_chesbay said...

Good job, Kathy. Videos are very helpful. I haven't used burlap so that was a nice takeaway.

When you started the blog, I doubt you thought you'd be making instructional videos for the Internet. Good to see you!

Pam

Unknown said...

The garlic video saved me! Thanks so much for this resource!! <3

-S

Shop hoa TPHCM said...

Thank so much, i doubt you thought you'd be making instructional videos for the Internet. Good to see you!hoa tuoi