This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

bluestone patio

bluestone  patio 025 bluestone  patio 027 bluestone  patio 024 bluestone  patio 023 When I published a photo of these great bluestones that I recovered from someone's trash earlier this year, a reader commented that he/she would lay them in a pattern with stones between. This sounded like a great idea to me. I've never done this, so I am experimenting. I loosened and racked the soil, laid the bluestone and then piled on extra dirt. After stomping it down and working in more soil under stones that wobbled, I swept the extra soil of off the patio. I'll gradually work in more small stones to complete the pattern. Its a work in progress!


Blogger Pam said...

Kathy - Your garden looks so inviting, and I know your soil and harvests have improved every year. I love your seed lists and garden diagrams. I google varieties that I'm not familiar with. This fall, I'm growing winter radishes and doing trials of 3 varieties of kale, 4 varieties of broccoli, 3 varieties of collards. Love it!

This spring, I started a new garden closer to the house. I look at your photos on Flickr for inspiration.

I do have a question: How do you keep up??

I live on the Chesapeake Bay so we spent days preparing for Sandy. Storm prep including building berms around the new garden. We had flooding but the water stopped a few inches from the garden during last high tide.

Just wanted to say "thank you"!


October 29, 2012 3:26 PM

Anonymous Marian(LondonUK) said...

A professional job I would say! I love it when you come upon a 'find' in someone else's rubbish. A good place for well earned post-digging rest.
Marian (LondonUK)

October 30, 2012 4:13 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden