Thursday, September 27, 2012

pumpkins on the doorstep

pumpkins046
I bought these pumpkins at the supermarket. They're not home home grown.... (but the supermarket is local)

It just takes up so much space to grow pumpkins. Even though I love them. I've been really pleased with my garden's production of butternut squash routinely. But when I grow pumpkins in my small space, sometimes they produce well, sometimes they don't. Always they take up a LOT of space.

I gave my pumpkin seedlings to my parents this year for their big garden. They got many pumpkins, but not really so big.

I am thinking to save seeds from all three of these. Especially the striped one. Then maybe I will go back on all I said above and grow a big pumpkin patch in my garden next year. What fun.

I noticed this morning that the squirrel has tasted each of the pumpkins. A little bite out of each. Fortunately not more than one bite. There must be better food out there for now. By November, the squirrels will tunnel through to get to the seeds. I am planning to use at least the red one for myself (pumpkin bread or pie) and will bring it inside if it looks like it is at risk of being eaten by wildlife.

4 comments:

auntie beak said...

beautiful! that red one looks like a rouge vif d'etamps. they make DELICIOUS pies.

but besides squirrels, watch out for stink bugs. they ruined almost my entire crop a year ago.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Those pumpkins look great together!!

biobabbler said...

I agree w/auntie beak re: rouge vif d'estampes. And I've grown them and they are SO beautiful, and did really well. However, that was BEFORE I got ground squirrels... Good luck!!

Parsnip Love said...

I was about to comment it, but I see someone else already did that your red one looks like the rouge vif d'etamps...the Cinderella pumpkin. So lovely. Please post whether they taste as good as they look--I've always wondered. However, we also learned the hard way that pumpkins quickly overwhelm our little garden space. :sigh: We will also have to get them on the outside. Lovely picture!