Saturday, September 29, 2012

garlic shipment is here

My garlic shipment is here!!! I'm excited to get it in the grown a bit early this year. Maybe this week? (I was too late last year.) I have my potato bed dug and ready to go for the garlic. I'll add a couple inches of compost, turn it under, and then its ready to plant.

e-how asked me to do a couple of videos on planting garlic. I am hoping to do these this week and will post links.

I ordered the garlic variety "Music" from Territorial.

I like to plant a full 12 x 3.5 ft bed (about 80 or so cloves) in my garden each year. This gives me enough to eat all year and plant for the next year. (My harvest this year was poor because I planted late and didn't mulch.) I have 6 big heads saved from my harvest this year (mostly "Duganski", 8 cloves per head). I'll add to it the 8 Music heads I just got (6 cloves per head), plus some sprouted supermarket ones I want to try. Some will go to my parents garden too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I plan on planting my garlic this week(first time planting it). What do you use for mulch?

kathy said...

I use salt marsh hay.

Carys Starfire said...

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of Music.

I grew 9 varieties last year: Ail de Pays Gers, Ali Rose, Brown Tempest, Chinese Red, Korean, Persian Star, Pyong Vang Korean, Siberian, and Spanish Roja. I like the Pyong Vang Korean, Persian Star, Spanish Roja, and Siberian best so far (but I'll probably plant a couple dozen of each of the others as well in a couple weeks (or as soon as the rains start), too.

becky3086 said...

I always use supermarket garlic. They turned out decent last year but could have been bigger.

Aria Nadii said...

Music is my favorite garlic to plant. It always does well, even in the years when I lost all the other varieties.

Diane C said...

I'll be on the lookout for your ehow videos. I use a lot of garlic so this would be great to grow myself.