Saturday, June 02, 2012

Photos of my community garden plot this week

plot 080 plot 081 potatoes 035 plot 057 plot 055 plot 026 plot 019 Its a super year for the garden so far. My potatoes are growing really fast. I planted them a few weeks ago in trenches and then last week and leveled the soil around the growing the plants. This coming week I will mound up the soil around the plants. Onions and lettuce are doing well. And I have a nice patch of sweet potatoes. I planted a couple of Butternut squashes at the base of my new garden arbor - looking forward to seeing big squashes hanging down later this season. I have a double row of perennial Daisies seedlings that I grew from seed. I'd like to plant these in my front yard next year after they size up. The garlic in some garden plots here is staring to scape, but mine is behind a bit - no scrapes yet. I have a few little strawberries on my two plants - its the first year I've grown strawberries. I have 12 tomato seedlings this year, half here and half in my garden at home. They are starting to grow a bit and the cherry tomatoes are blooming.

7 comments:

admin said...

Kathy, your plot is absolutely beautiful—and it looks so organized!! I feel my garden is anything but right now! Can't wait to see how it progresses through the season.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I looked at the pictures may be 5 times. Such a beautiful garden Everything looks like is doing very well. I wish I could say the same for my garden. Enjoy your bounty :]
Hulya

pam_chesbay said...

Kathy - I agree with earlier posters re: gorgeous garden - looks like it will be featured in a Fine Gardening type magazine. So neat, no clutter, no weeds! ;- )

Question: How do you support your tomatoes? I remember a system where you had a frame and used twine to train the toms up. I have a selfish reason for asking - today, I planted seeds for 30 tomato plants to replace the toms that are starting to bear now - lots of folks down here plant late summer gardens in mid to late July so I thought I'd try - another experiment. Thanks for your inspiration!

Charmcitybalconygarden said...

So organized and beautiful. Its so exciting to watch all the plants grow. It looks like you'll have lots of great veggies this year too!

Victoria said...

Your garden looks wonderful!! How to you keep bunnies & other small animals away? I recently discovered that some of my crop had been eaten by cute little bunnies

Victoria

http://victoriaspatiogarden.blogspot.com/

Jessica said...

What did you lay in your paths? Is it hay? Do bugs hide it in? I need a better solution for my paths atm. I am having a horrible time with slugs and snails this year. Thanks! :)

Unknown said...

What kind of lettuce is the beautiful red one in your photos? I am gaining an affinity for mixing reds and greens in my salads and garden for contrast. Your garden is looking great!