Tuesday, August 23, 2011

apples on the tree

apple 022

There are about 20 apples on my dwarf Fugi apple tree this year. All are getting big and red and I'm tempted to pick one soon. I can imagine the crisp juicy bites!

All summer, the apples have been covered with plastic baggies and I just removed them last weekend. I took them off on Sunday because it seemed some of the fruits were getting some black fungal/mildew growth. Its been such a humid summer that I think I have every type of fungus growing in my garden somewhere this year.

The risk for the uncovered apples now is that the squirrels might find them before I pick them. Once they start to sweeten up the squirrels get interested. I'd like to leave them on the tree to ripen as long a I can. SO I'm watching out.

3 comments:

Ben Czajkowski said...

No picture at which to marvel :(

Icy said...

Hi you ! I love your garden so much, it so beautiful.

Deborah said...

Hi Kathy - for some reason, your blog postings aren't coming up. Your last three are blank!