Thursday, November 18, 2010

tree trimming

tree 074

Last week we hired a tree climber remove a small branch that was banging into our roof. Since he was up there, I had him also cut down a big branch that was blocking lots of sun from the back year. As he said, this extra branch was the size of a large tree.

It is great how he was able to rope the massive branch and drop it perfectly into our postage-stamp-size backyard. We now have a big pile of wood ready for fireplace the winter.

But best is all the sun we now have! It pours into our back windows! My orchids on window sills are happy. I am very much looking forward to the outdoor plants that will do better next year! My little apple tree will be happy. And daffodils, grapes and lawn. I don;t think it will really help my vegetables though, but maybe. We'll see.

tree 073

7 comments:

biobabbler said...

We got a pine tree cut down that was a foot south of the garden fence. Wow, did that make a difference re: duration of sun for the southern end of the garden. It really is an amazing change. Hope you reap lots of veggie rewards! =)

Tommy2Tone said...

Do you plan on burning it green?

Leslie Sears said...

We need a mature pear tree pruned, but can't find anyone who is knowledgeable about fruit trees. Can you recommend anyone?

kathy said...

Tony the Tree Man (Belmont) did this work. I don't know if he has fruit tree experience. He's in the phone book - you could call and ask.

kathy said...

Actually my husband was explaining that we can;t burn it yet. I didn;t know that.

Karen Anne said...

Aren't those cuts kind of flat in terms of water collecting?

kathy said...

Well, I think the cuts would look better if they were angled more.

But they're not flat. Water won't collect on them.

The raw wood will quickly darken. Also the branches will quickly fill in. But I look forward to to sun I will have next summer!