Thursday, November 04, 2010

remote thermometer in my cold frame

remote thermometer 2 remote thermometer 1
cold frame 2

I have a new remote thermometer in my cold frame. Nothing special, but I like to be able to see the temperature during the day without going out and lifting the cover.

When there is no sun on the frame, the temperature is similar to the outdoor temperature. But it doesn't fall to the lowest temperatures at night. When there is sun on the frame, it gets 10 or more degrees warmer than outside. Only problem now is that the sun has sunk so low that it is mostly lower than the house next door and the frame stays quite cool.

Last night we had a good frost even in my side yard. My tomato plants are still standing and they wilted back. I will need to remove them soon. November 2 is a bit late for my first frost. Soon, I want to go back and get a list of my first frost dates for the past few years. I think they vary by about a month year to year

In the cold frame, the lettuce, escarole, spinach, beets, dill and broccoli plants are still growing, but slowly. I haven't set up my heating system, but this is on my to-do list.

11 comments:

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Cool! I myself have about fifteen tunnel cloches installed. I would need a lot of thermometers.

Vic said...

Our hoophouse warm lovers are all toast. We had several nights with under -3 C temp here in Ontario.

Our cold lovers are looking great.

I am interested in your cold frame heater.

Annelie said...

Nice to so many vegetables still growing, and I love the shelves with all your stored veggies.
The frost we had the other night took quite a few plants in my garden. We're now betting at the dinner table when the first snow will arrive (some of us long to ski).

Nice blog and BEAUTIFUL dog!

Annelie (Stow, MA)

daphne said...

it's cool. . I think I would need this for my garden! It's kinda new to me but I would love to try=)

Karen Anne said...

Whatever happened to the cretin who was stealing your content?

Here's a link to something about an instance of this with an actual magazine stealing from a whole host of blogs and websites, including from Martha Stewart:

http://chickensintheroad.com/dailyfarm/creative-license/#comment-98184

garden centres uk said...

Do you monitor your plants twice a day or just once?

kathy said...

Monitor? Jeeepers. I only go out there on weekends these days I think. I wish I had more time in the garden :(

Matron said...

That looks like a really great and well organized Winter leaves bed. I am trying to get some through the Winter too.

Vanessa said...

Is your cold frame sunken in the ground at all or at ground level?

Green Zebra Market Garden said...

Where did you purchase that thermometer and how does it work? Is there a sensor in the coldframe?

meemsnyc said...

This is such a great idea! I have one of those remote thermometers that we got as a present. I never thought to use it like this! I should build a cold frame!