Friday, October 06, 2006

Planting lettuce


I can't believe I planted a bed of lettuce today. Very foolish. I am ignoring the rapidly approaching end of the gardening season. Well, maybe we'll have a very late frost this year. After all, we made it past the October full moon. And I did have a couple packages of seeds left. (How long do they last anyway?) I may try to cover the bed with hoops and cloth later on if I am ambitious. Its always nice to have fresh lettuce. I'm not sure how much cold lettuce seedlings can stand. I guess I'll see what happens. So here is my lettuce bed, planted on October 5th. I planted it where my squash were, as they all gave up earlier this week.

Note added February 7: This planting failed (of course). I think maybe Sept 20 is the last planting date that would be useful. Even this may is probably too late, unless the fall weather is unusually warm.

Lactuca sativa

No comments: