Wednesday, February 07, 2018

early seedlings

early seedlings IMG_1649

The planting season is starting up!!

I planted a bunch of greens to fill my winter tunnel since mice ruined my fall planting. I finished transplanting them today. They were growing 4 or 5 to a cell of a 6-pack, now they each have a cell to themselves. I hope to plant them out in the tunnel at the end of the month.

I started my regular garden planting a few days ago by planting a few asparagus seeds. They need to go in 13 weeks before the last frost. They are germinating (I hope) in a nice warm (78F) spot. My onions, scallion, leeks, celery, and celeriac will go in 11 weeks before the last frost - the week of February 16 (just over a week away!).

early seedlings  IMG_1633 early seedlings IMG_1642
early seedlings  IMG_1651 early seedlings IMG_1661

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your seedlings look wonderful....way to go!!you inspire

Anonymous said...

This is what gets me through the winter! I love your gardening/planting apps and advice and enjoy following your calendar based on my frost dates. Thanks Kathy!!

Anonymous said...

So excited, here on the Washington coast after a little drizzle today, Sunday, all next week will be a gardening week. We will have dry weather, mild temperatures and some sun. Can't wait!!

kathy said...

Thanks Anonymouses. (Or is it Anonymice?)

This is what gets me through the winter too it hasn’t really been a tough winter, but as usual, the sunlight is dim and the ground is frozen. Not much out door gardening to do. I am greatly tempted to move to the WASHINGTON COAST so I can Garden outside next week. I will just have to imagine it. At least a months left here, maybe two.

But Tuesday I do plan to go out and check on my winter tunnel. I need to see if there are mice in the snap traps. Or if they have done any more damage. If it seems good, I will start leaving my seedlings in the tunnel on warm nights to harden off.