Sunday, March 06, 2016

2016 planting list

Finally I have time to start my seed planting! I started flowers in milk bottles outside a few weeks ago, but today I planted lots of seeds in seed trays. I am going to be planting more flower seeds this year - for my bees.

BTW, all my planting times come from the Skippy's Planting Calendar apps.

February 14, in plastic bottles outside
Anise Hyssop
Wildflower mix, Save the Bees
Wildflower mix, Bring Home the Butterflies
Wild NE Aster, small white

March 6, indoors under lights
Heliotrope
Bunching onions, Nabechan
Onions, Red Wing
Onions, White Wing, failed, old seed, 2013
Onions, Pontiac
Celeriac, Brillante
Leeks, King Richard
Leeks, Bandit
Cabbage, Chinese, Wong Bok, failed, old seed, 2009
Cabbage, Napa, Mini Kisaku 50
Cabbage, Savoy, Alcosa
Cabbage, Red Express
Cabbage, Murdoc
Kale, Toscano
Kale, Vates
Kale, Red Russian, failed, old seed, 2008
Escarole, Natacha
Escarole, Tres Fine
Hollyhock, Single Mix

March 6, begin stratification in refrigerator
Echinacea, Purple coneflower

March 13, indoors under lights
Parsley, Dark Green Italian Plain,
Parsley, Single Italian failed, old seed, 2009
Thyme, Creeping
Thyme, German Winter
Marjoram
Basil, Nufar
Basil, Dolce Fresco
Snapdragons, Costa mix
Marigold, Queen Sophia

March 17, in the garden
Peas, Super Sugar Snap

March 17, in the garden under covered hoops
Lettuce, Romaine, Winter Density
Lettuce, Romaine, Truchas
Lettuce, Butterhead, Skyphos
Arugula

March 19, indoors under lights
Basil, Genovese
Basil, Superbo
Beets, Touchstone Gold, failed, underwatered
Beets, Red Ace
Beets, Chiogga
Beets, Merlin, failed, old seed 2011
Pepper, Emerald Fire Jalapeno
Pepper, Ancho 211
Pepper, Ace
Pepper, Canary Bell, failed, old seed, 2011
Pepper, Joe E Parker, failed, old seed, 2011
Pepper, Thai Hot
Eggplant, Kamo, failed, old seed, 2011
Eggplant, Tiger, failed, old seed, 2011
Eggplant, Prosperosa, failed, unknown cause
Liatrus, Purple Blazing Star
Cleome, Magenta
Marigold, Durango Outback
Marigold, African

March 30, indoors under lights
Note: This planting (2 trays) got aphids. Many plants were killed or stunted by either the bugs, me squishing the bugs, or the soap spray I used.
Eggplant, Black Beauty (3)
Eggplant, Properosa (2)(replant)
Broccoli, Cook's Garden Super blend (aphids)
Broccoli, Johnny's Mini (aphids)
Radicchio, Indigo
Radicchio, Perseo
Beets, Merlin (replant)
Beets, Touchstone Gold (replant)
Bok Choi, Win Win, failed, old seed, 2012
Lettuce, Winter Density
Lettuce, Skyphos, failed
Lettuce, Red Cross, failed, old seed, 2010
Lettuce, Oakleaf
Tomatoes, Amish Paste failed
Tomatoes, Sun Gold cherry (1 sprout)
Tomatoes, Mortgage Lifter (1 sprout)
Tomatoes, Box Car Willie (1 sprouts)
Tomatoes, Cherokee Purple, failed, old seed, 2008
Tomatoes, Orange Blossom (3 sprouts)
Tomatoes, Opalka, failed, old seed, 2009
Tomatoes, Pink Beauty, failed
Tomatoes, Brandywine (2 sprouts)
Tomatoes, Heinz 2653 (3 sprouts)
Tomatoes, San Marzano Gigante 3, failed, old seed, 2010
Marigold, Cottage Red
Echinacea (following cold stratification in refrigerator 3 weeks)
Cosmos, Sunshine mix
Salvia, Victoria
Tithonia, Torch failed

April 8, indoors under lights
Lettuce, Skyphos
Bok Choi, Win Win, 2013
Tomatoes, Mortgage Lifter (replanted, failed)
Tomatoes, Amish Paste (replanted, 6 sprouts)
Tomatoes, Box Car Willie (replanted, failed)
Tomatoes, Cherokee Purple (replanted, newer seed, 1 sprout)
Tomatoes, Opalka (replanted, failed)
Tomatoes, Pink Beauty (replanted, 3 sprout)
Tomatoes, San Marzano Gigante 3 (replanted, failed)
Pepper, Numex Joe E Parker (replanted, new seed)
Chamomile, Common
Lupine, Tutti Frutti Mix

April 12, indoors under lights
Tomatoes, Carbon
Tomatoes, True Black Brandywine
Bok Choi, Pechay
Lettuce, Italianischer
Lettuce, Ermosa
Lettuce, Avicenna
Lettuce, Ice Queen
Eggplant, Mitoyo
Rosemary
Bells of Ireland

April 13, indoors under lights
Tomatoes, Jersey Devil
Peppers, Anaheim
Peppers, Poblano
Peppers, Paprika
Peppers, Canary Bell
Peppers, King of the North
Lettuce, Oakleaf
Lettuce, Skyphos
Cabbage, Brunswick
Basil, Eleanora
Salvia, Scarlet Sage

April 15, indoors under lights
Broccoli, Blend
Broccoli, Mini
Radicchio, Perseo
Bok Choy, Win Win
Tithonia, Torch

Notes
March 25: I'm sad that I cant find the Blue Beech tomatoes seed I ordered a while back. :-( Maybe they'll show up soon. Otherwise, next year....

April 1: I'm having much poorer success than usual with germination! Mostly it's due to old seed. I usually don't note whether my seeds fail or not, but I did it this year so I could throw out old packages that are no longer viable. It did seem that they were accumulating in my collection. I don't like to throw out seeds unless I know they're dead.

April 10: Aphids! Arggh. I have aphids on two trays of seedlings. It looks like they came from some Easter lilies I got from Costco.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have followed your informative blog for several years from our home on the north shore. I recently found your apps and bee blog as well. Thanks so much for being a knowledgeable resource and, more importantly, motivator.

Dennis said...

Do you have any tips for growing chilies outside or in greenhouse ? Mostly about what soil to use ?

kathy said...

Anonymous - Thanks for your note! I'm glad you enjoy my blog. I grew up on the north shore - of Boston. Topsfield and Boxford. I love it up there.

kathy said...

Hi Dennis, I love to grow chilis! I usually grow Joseph E Parker (a Tex Mex variety), as well as Poblanos, Thai hot, cayenne and jalapenos. I grow Ace too, an nice Bell pepper that my son loves (not really a chili).

I start them inside about March 15 (8 weeks before my last frost) in fresh potting soil. It's important to keep them above 78F for germination. I put them in a warm spot under my fish tank for a week or so to sprout. After they sprout, I move them to the room and about 70F.

They go out to the garden when it's nice and warm. Chilis are a heavy feeder, especially the larger fruited ones and they need a rich soil. Before they are planted out, I add as much compost as I can to their soil and turn it under. Ideally I would add 2 inches of rich compost every year, but I like to make my own compost and I'm working on producing more. It's probably been more like 1 inch that I've added in the past couple years.

I keep an eye on their leaf color as they grow. It should stay bright deep green and shiny. If it starts to pale toward yellow a little, I give them an organic fertilizer, like a rich liquid fish emulsion. Usually they need this right as they start to produce fruit. Its good to give fertilizer only when you see that they need it as too much will produce big bushy plants with few fruits.

I usually plant my chilis in the same garden bed as my tomatoes and eggplants. They all seem to be good companions. Mostly, they are all demanding plants that want really rich soil. I often mix basil, parsley and marigolds in the bed too.

I'm hoping to get a drip system under my tomato-pepper-eggplant bed. I used to have a nice one. These plants do better if their leaves stay dry. Also, it's important that they get regular irrigation.

I rotate this group of plants on a three or four year schedule to different areas of the garden.

It's so fun to think about planting chilis! I suppose I answered about more than how I prepare their soil.

Anonymous said...

I love cilantro too, what variety did you grow in your tunnel that the leaves were so large?

kathy said...

Just the usual, Calypso. It looks completely different in the winter than mid summer. I'll get more going right away.

kathy said...

It's listed in my 2015 planting list. Planted September 10. Calypso.

Southern Done said...

What's your favorite source for seeds? I've recently discovered Bakers Creek, and now I'm obsessed with finding unique varieties! Thanks!

kathy said...

I usually order from Johnnys or Fedco since they're nearby. But last week I came across a Baker Creek catalog and couldn't put it down. I ordered a dozen items. They're due in today!