This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

more honey

honey IMG_5231
Yesterday I bottled 10 pints, 15 lbs, of honey for us to eat. It's spicy and sweet, medium amber. Really good. (more...)

Labels: ,


Anonymous Anonymous said...


February 28, 2016 6:35 AM

Anonymous PalmTreeParadise said...

These look absolutely tasty! What adds the spiciness to it?

February 28, 2016 6:00 PM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

can I order a jar of honey?

February 29, 2016 4:52 AM

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, congratulations! looks amazing!!

February 29, 2016 6:18 PM

Blogger blueberry1946 said...

Me too, wow! Kathy, your jars of honey are beautiful!

March 02, 2016 1:59 PM

Blogger kathy said...

I'm not sure what adds the spiciness to the honey. Maybe the Nepeta the we in all summer. Or maybe it's just the complexity of a mix of flower sources that I am noticing and calling spicy. The previous batch was all from a 2 or 3 week period in August and I'm sure 90% of their forage was the abundant pepper bush around the lake. That made a nice honey, but a simple floral mild sweet taste. It's fun to try different batches.

I don't think I have enough to sell yet. My son bakes with it, cakes cookies etc. we're lucky to have a baker in the house. We are mostly using honey in place of sugar when we can. I think the 40 lbs I've collected so far this year might be about our annual usage so I'm not looking to sell. I give away a small jar to friends now and then. Anyway, I think I'll wait to sell it. I was told that honey is selling at $12 a half pound for small producers selling it locally so it brings a good price. $24 a lb. I'd need to improve on my labels. Right now they dissolve when they get wet - just the printed Avery labels. But I put it on and in everything. Toast, tea, oatmeal, it in my son's homemade breakfast bars and I drizzle moe on, it's in the bread I make and I toast it and add more. Yummy. I do get a bit sticky .... But sweet.

March 04, 2016 5:36 AM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden