Friday, January 08, 2016

my 2016 variety list

I'm getting my 2016 variety list together. It's so exciting to be thinking about planting again! I can't wait.

I went through and sorted my old seeds, threw out seeds that were old. Especially the carrots and celeriac. I like to start fresh with those. Most of these seeds I have already, but I'll still end up with a good order to place. I'll see if I can get everything I need from one or two companies: FedCo and Johnny's. I put a link to this list on my side bar. I'll update it as the season goes. I haven't kept a variety list in the past, just a planting list. I think this list will be really helpful for ordering year to year. Also for keeping track of how the varieties do, what I get tired of, etc.

Arugula
Basil, Eleonora (downy mildew resistant) Basil, Superbo
Basil, Dolce Fresca
Basil, Nufar
Beans, green, Maxibel
Beans, green, Fortex
Beans, green, Jumbo
Beans, pole, Wax
Beans, pole, Shung Wang Chinese
Beans, pole, Gino's Italien
Beans, shell, Jacobs Cattle (...more)

7 comments:

thomimaine said...

Back in late fall I recommended " Blue Beech" paste tomato to you when you asked for suggestions. Available from Fedco and absolutely great. Friendly reminder, you'll be glad if you trial. Does wonderfully here in midcoast Maine. Have grown it for 5 years, wouldn't be without it! Thom

kathy said...

OK - I added it. Thanks! Can't wait to try it.

My favorite from the paste tomatoes I tried last year are Polish Linquisa and Opalka. Beautiful big meaty fruits.

Heinz was pretty amazing for the amount of tomatoes and still big enough to be nice.

I ended up growing a lot of tiny tomatoes last year. They are OFF my list. They produce a lot of fruit, but so much skin and seeds to deal with.

Thanks again.

I think I had some other recommendations last year that I should try to find.

Connie said...

It is so much fun seeing what other people are planning on planting. I've received at least seven different seed catalogs in the mail. It's fun, but starts getting confusing. This summer will be my third garden . . . I love getting my hands dirty and growing my own food. What's better than that!

kathy said...

Yes it's so fun to read through the catalogs. I used to go through and circle everything that sounded interesting. I'd end up with 100 things circled. Now I'm less focused on the catalogs and more on my lists and my "garden review". In my review I noted I'd like another big red beet, a large purple eggplant, wilt resistant cucumbers, a small multicolor marigold. Etc. so I go through catalogs - or usually online - with a pretty specific purpose. It's still fun!

admin said...

Thank you for sharing! I'm still searching for the perfect pickling cucumber for my area and may give some of your varieties a try. Loving looking at my stack of catalogs. I'm finding I usually order from FEDCO, sandhill preservation center, and Baker Creek and that I order more and more flowers each year!

Roanie said...

I love Johnny's golden beets. Sweet, and won't stain; awesome grated with yogurt like tzatziki. I use Johnny's and Fedco but always get a few things from J.L. Hudson, Seedsman, an old school catalog with everything in the universe and many rarities.

kathy said...

I'm going to try golden beets. Never have. They sound great.