Tuesday, November 24, 2015

my Thanksgiving lettuce (variety Sandy) survived the cold

IMG_3976 - thanksgiving lettuce

Yes! It still looks great. This is a little area that's not under my plastic tunnel, so I want to pick it all for Thanksgiving. Its a great variety. Sandy. A 2015 AAAS Winner that I love. Sweet frilly green leaves. And - very cold tolerant!!

I have some escaroles, Frissee and Natacha, to mix with it. Also curly kale and baby beet greens. Maybe some mustard, Purple Streaks, and some tiny radicchio, Perseo, too. I see what kind of mix I end up with. The rest of the nights before Thursday will be warmer, so I'll stop worrying.

Soon I plant to go through all of the 2015 AAAS Winners that I grew this year and post their photos. Most did great for me. I think of December as sort of a "garden review" month.

2 comments:

ValHalla said...

Yay!
I struggled to cover all my (zone 7) beds for the last two nights, when temps dipped below 30 for the first time this season, but I am not sure if I even needed to. I have my best cold-season output yet, with loads of tat soi, pak choy, various other Asian greens, kale, Napa cabbage, arugula, daikon and a few other roots, and peas. I wonder if I could have left it all uncovered until we really get down into the 20s, but I did not want to risk it. This winter gardening thing is so confusing.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Marian(LondonUK) said...

That looks lovely, hope you enjoy it with your Thanksgiving meal.
Marian(LondonUK)