This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Saturday, April 11, 2015

swallows arrive

The tree swallows arrived here this morning!!! What fun to see them. They are swooping all over my garden. A pair seems to have claimed the same nesting box where a swallow pair nested last year. I read that our NE tree swallows have been in Florida or Cuba for the winter.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Lara said...

I saw my first pair of bluebirds this week and the trumpeter swans are back! So exciting to see the birds returning!

April 11, 2015 2:34 PM

 
Blogger kathy said...

I am disappointed that the swallows did not stay at THEIR nest box. The is a pair of house sparrows in the box. No eggs yet, so I went ahead and took their out. I know they'll just rebuild. But I don't want to increase the sparrow population. Darn. Good news, I have a chickadee in the second (new) box. They come and go fast that I mostly just catch them out of the corner of my eye.

April 16, 2015 8:12 AM

 
Blogger Stickfigure Gardening, Leonardo de Stickfigure said...

We have been waiting for years to see a chickadee come back to our neighborhood. The West Nile virus and ice storm has completely wiped them out here. I've never seen a swallow and that would be quite a treat for us.

April 19, 2015 9:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden