This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he always thought the garden was his. Even though I do all the work, he always stood by me. I'm located near Boston (in USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot and a backyard vegetable garden. I use sustainable organic methods and try to grow all of my family's vegetables.

Monday, November 24, 2014

little winter rye sprouts

winter rye IMG_0967 I planted my winter rye seed really late (Nov 10) so I'm really happy to see it sprout.



Anonymous Wendy Perez said...

How do you turn the winter crop over in your soil? Tiller? Manually? This is a raised bed, right?

January 10, 2015 7:18 PM

Blogger kathy said...

I always turn manually. I hate tillers. I can't imagine what tillers do to earthworms and other soil organisms. I feel if I turn over big clumps of earth, then rake it flat that I am maintaining at least some of the soil structure. I think this is better than using a sharp blade and pureeing the soil.

Also, with raised beds, I think it would be hard to get a tiller in. Maybe not, I've never tried it.

January 11, 2015 12:24 PM


Post a Comment

<< Home

your ad here

Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct

garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden