Sunday, November 23, 2014

bok choi recipes

Again I have LOTS of bok choi. I just love the flavor of it and how nice it looks in the garden. Tonight I am thinking about how to prepare it.

My usual recipe is to sauté minced garlic and ginger, maybe adding a dried chili pepper, in a high heat oil like peanut or sunflower. Then I add the coarsley chopped stems of bok choi and stir fry a few minutes. Next I add coarsley chopped bok choi leaves and stir 'til they wilt. Then I add some corn starch stirred with water, maybe a splash of white whine or vermouth, and a good splash of soy sauce. I stir over heat until the sauce is the right thickness. I like to serve it with fried rice and a roasted meat.

A variation is to use the same preparation, but leave the bok choi whole if they are tiny, or just halve or quarter them. I've also added mushrooms. When my son is home, I add broccoli and he eats that and leaves my husband and me the bok choi.

I'm looking for something new tonight. I'll google and see what Epicurius, Allrecipes and the other usual sites suggest. I'd love to hear ways other gardeners prepare bok choi.

6 comments:

Dianna said...

I have used it before in this soup in place of the cabbage and it's great. You can pack a lot of it in.

http://be-it-ever-so-humble.blogspot.com/2007/12/chicken-adobo-soup.html

Echo Wu said...

In our Taiwanese family, we often just eat bok choi stir-fried with a little bit of garlic and oil. This dish itself provides good vegetable intake. You could also use the stem part for fried rice which provides the dish with a nice crunch. Bok choi is also a wonderful filling for dumplings or wonton. You can use ground pork to bind the chopped bok choi for the filling. I have also squeezed out the juice from bok choi to make green dumpling wrap at home. It is a very versatile vegetable.

kb said...

I can definitely recommend this recipe - quick and tasty - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Salmon-with-Hoisin-Orange-and-Bok-Choy-356309
I make double the sauce.

cathy chen said...

I was going to suggest soup as well. We Chinese love bok choi and use it in so many ways. Put it in the hearty meat soup ( beef, chicken or pork...) right before serving to keep it green. Put in the cooked noodles or any shapes of pasta. It's a great one dish meal. It's my family's comfort food, especially in the cold winter.

kathy said...

Thanks!! It is great to hear about ways you cook with bok choi. I will try these!

Farah said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes. its good to know about things to do from bokchoi. We would love to Buy Indian Spices Online and try to make some curry using it and bokchoi.