Wednesday, May 02, 2012

mom and dad's garden

mom and dads garden 036 mom and dads garden - spreading c0mpost 019 mom and dads garden - first planting 024 I've been helping my parents with their garden. Early this spring, on a March day that broke records (temperature in the 80's!), my son and I spread and dug in 3 cubic yards of compost. We also planted peas, lettuce and root vegetables. Last Friday, I brought them more seedlings and seeds. The garden is looking great. Mom is already picking a little new lettuce and using up the kale that overwintered. I got my potatoes and some extra asparagus roots planted at my community plot today, but still no seedlings (other than a few very early tomatoes). I hope I will get to do some transplanting in my garden soon.

5 comments:

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

It looks so great!! I love how much space you have!!

Michele said...

Quick question... Can you transplant Lettuce and Spinach? I started them about 12 days ago in my yard. They have sprouted and are doing well.. but I just discoverd the place where I put them is on our Leeching Field..Yuck! So.. I need to move them... or should I just start over?

Michele- Topsfield,MA

kathy said...

Michele, Lettuce and spinach will transplant very well. Go for it. Make sure they have a few days of moist soil (no problem right now). (They would probably do very good in your leach field....)

kathy said...

Michele, PS. Its a good time to plant a second crop too. I planted my second crop of greens this week - lettuce and spinach. Plant more greens every two or three or four weeks.

aldonsusi said...

I looked at your blog for inspiration. We just planted a vegetable garden. :) I hope we achieve the success that you have achieved (at a smaller scale).