This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

oxheart carrots

carrot slice
carrot bunch colander
Oxheart is an old heirloom variety that grows enormous - short, fat roots up to 1 lb or more. I harvested a nice bunch of these last night for dinner. They tasted great.

Daucus carota

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger CD & SP said...

Your photos are just gorgeous-do you mind me asking what kind of camera you use to take your lovely garden pics??

September 22, 2007 2:18 PM

 
Blogger carletongardener said...

Thanks!

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi

You can see camera information for all of my photos if you click on the picture. The camera I used is listed at the right. More specs than you'd ever want to know are available under "more properties".

Its a wonderful camera. I have a multi-purpose and a macro lens for it.

September 22, 2007 7:07 PM

 
Blogger Tea & Margaritas in My Garden said...

Neet looking carrots! I`ve never seen any like his. I bet they were good :)

tea
xo

September 23, 2007 8:58 PM

 
Blogger Matron said...

What a wonderful carrot! Might work better in my soil as it looks like I wouldn't get forking problems. More like a beetroot shape.

September 24, 2007 2:55 AM

 
Blogger Doctor Mom said...

My mouth is watering! What a juicy carrot.

September 24, 2007 12:57 PM

 
Blogger Connie said...

Wonderful photos! Would like to try this carrot next year.

September 24, 2007 6:47 PM

 
Blogger carletongardener said...

I think I'll grow this again next year too. Its done well.

September 25, 2007 3:25 PM

 
Blogger Celt said...

Ok! Where do you get the seeds?! That is the most amazing carrot I have ever seen!

September 25, 2007 6:54 PM

 
Blogger carletongardener said...

You can get them at Seed Savers Exchange or, where I got mine, at Seeds of Change.

September 25, 2007 7:44 PM

 
Blogger Hanna Rhoades said...

Gardening Know How currently has a scavenger hunt photo contest for an oxheart carrot and you can submit that photo to enter to win a great prize! For details on how to enter, visit:


http://blog.gardeningknowhow.com/giveaways/scavenger-hunt-contest-for-the-oxheart-carrot/

December 03, 2015 6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden