Wednesday, April 24, 2019

planting peas

I planted my peas today. I started them indoors in big flat boxes and cut off paper bags. I'm a fan of planting indoors, mostly because I can watch them grow. But also I can baby the seedlings, making sure they get the right amount of water and light (under plant lights).

For peas, another reason for planting inside - my voracious chipmunks. There are so many chipmunks in my garden and they have, in the past, gone right down the rows and dug up and ate every newly planted pea seed.

The chipmunks are also the reason for the new pea supports I am trying. They are thin wire tomato cages set out in a zigzag pattern. Last year the critters climbed up the branches I used for supports and ate most of the pea pods. I'm hoping the thin metal of the tomato cages won't give them enough to hold onto and climb up on.

IMG_8399

IMG_8400

The peas in the back on the support are Oregon Giant, a delicious snow pea that grows very tall. In front of them I have a row of a short snap pea, Sugar Daddy, that doesn't need support.

No comments: