Wednesday, March 13, 2019

my planting progress

I'm planting way too many varieties of vegetable seeds this year. Last year, I cut back on different varieties and planted only my favorites. This year, the opposite. I'm planting a few plants each of many different varieties. I have a big Excel list to keep track of them all.

So far I have planted:
Feb 5: rosemary and thyme
Feb 23: lots of onion varieties, also celeriac and parsley.
March 4: 11 cabbage varieties, also escarole and endive.
March 10: 4 basil varieties, 5 marigolds, 5 eggplants,
          and 15 varieties of peppers.
March 19: radicchio, broccoli and lots of sweet peas.
March 24: bok choy, 6 varieties of lettuce, and 18 varieties of tomatoes
March 25: ginger, cumin, cilantro, Swiss chard, and nasturtiums

I hope to get my peas planted in the garden soon. As soon as the mud dries up a little more. The next indoor planting is cucumbers around April 10.

I'll add to this list as I continue planting.

And finally, here’s how I keep track of what to plant when: Skippy's Calendar App.
It's a planting calendar for a mobile device. I wrote this app and a friend coded it. I have it on my cell phone and refer to it all the time. You can adapt the calendar to your garden by putting in your last frost date. Please leave us a review! And let me know if you find any bugs. (All of the old bugs people have told us about have been fixed.)

6 comments:

kathy said...

Milania: I accidentally deleted your comment asking about when I will plant my peas. Sorry. I’ll plant peas indoors next week because unfailingly the chipmunks eat my pea seeds if I plant them in the ground. So I’ll plant them inside in a tray and then transplant them outside once the seeds have been absorbed by the growing plants - the peas seedlings will be about 3 inches tall. Also after the snow is gone and the soil has drained so its not muddy.

Tripti said...

Kathy,

I am new to Boston (living in Acton, MA). We moved to MA from FL, so growing vegetables was easy there. Do you have raised garden beds, and recommendations for where I can get soil/compost for my beds. We had a huge gardening community in Tallahassee and a business "man in overalls" who delivered excellent organic soil mix and guidance for novice gardeners. Thank you ..Tripti

kathy said...

Yes, I have raised beds. I filled them with topsoil delivered by a local nursery - nothing fancy (I used New England Nurseries in Bedford). Then I layered on 2 inches of compost, again from a nursery, and mixed it. I wish I had used composted cow manure instead. Great Brook Farm in Carlisle has really nice composted manure. 70 lb bags, 4 for $20.

Lyle said...

Hi Kathy. I have been using your veg. and flower apps for about 2 years now and they are a real time saver (and reduce the stress in juggling a calendar). Will you be adding any new vegetables to the app? For example, I cannot find any fennel listed within the vegetable list and fennel soup is a real family favourite. Thanks! Lyle.

Unknown said...

Thank you. I will try that too.

CHRIS said...

hello! so happy for your blog entries and that you share your planting progress... i use your app as well but it is nice to have a "real time" model as well since we share the same planting zone and the weather does not always cooperate accordingly!