Thursday, May 03, 2018

planting brassicas

Today I planted a half bed of brassicas: Red and Murdoch cabbage, broccoli Blue Wind and Bay Meadows. Also cauliflower Snowball Y and, in my lettuce bed, radicchio. My seedlings are all about 3 inches tall. I will need another bed for more brassicas. I have some nice broccilini seedlings: Happy Rich and Piracicaba. Also bok choy.

The weather has turned warm so fast. I don’t see any nights below 47 through May 10. I am thinking it’s Ok to plant tomato seedlings out soon. But I’ll plant out in order of hardiness. The root crops will go out next. tomorrow? Beets, celeriac, carrots, parsnips, celery, onions - I have lots of onions, leeks, scallions.

Busy, busy time of year!!

Btw, my cold and bronchitis seem to be gone. Yeah!!! It’s time to be healthy and active in the garden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here on the Washington coast my only option is cool season crops brassicas, leafy greens, peas, onions, leeks, etc. In my old garden near Seattle beans, tomatoes etc. flourished but not here. I have learned to celebrate what grows well and not what doesn't. The good news, all my veggie seedlings are in and now on to the flower seedlings.

CHRIS said...

so glad you're feeling better! and happy the warmer weather is here finally... i thought it might never stop snowing... though I'm happy to be past that- dare i say it- it may be a little too warm for all those cool weather veggies I've been waiting to plant... i guess we shall see what happens...