Tuesday, February 20, 2018

hardening off seedlings

The seedlings for my winter tunnel have grown really fast. Time to start hardening them off. Today is sunny and 65F (!!) so they are outside on the patio sunning. I am enjoying the air and am working by the open door.

early seedlings IMG_1716

early seedlings IMG_1714 early seedlings IMG_1718

My plan is to harden them off for about a week before transplanting these seedlings into the tunnel soil. I'll leave them outside 3 hours today and then gradually longer until they are OK staying overnight in the tunnel. If it's not warm enough outside during the day, they can be in the covered tunnel for their hardening off time.

I opened up the winter tunnel to the air too. There are a few plants left in there (the mice left me a few). The soil is pretty dry. I'll have to bring a watering can down there this afternoon.

winter tunnel MG_1724 winter tunnel IMG_1720

1 comment:

Phuong said...

Your lettuces and greens look incredibly happy. I just started seeding yesterday, so exciting.