Sunday, January 21, 2018

today’s indoor garden work

Today I planted seeds for 3 types of lettuce and a cabbage. Just a few of each. Seedlings will go into my winter tunnel in 4 weeks.  By then we’ll be getting on to the end of February. If temperatures aren’t warm by then, at least there’ll be enough light to warm the tunnel and for plant growth.

Right now the seed pots are sitting on the side of my bath tub. It’s too cold for germination in the room with my plant lights. The bathroom is warm, but there isn’t much sunlight. Tomorrow I’ll turn up the heat in the plant room and get the lights going for the season.

I don’t usually start my seeds ‘til the end of February. That’s when I plant onion seeds. Since a mouse ate my fall-planted greens in my winter tunnel, I thought I’d try replanting the tunnel ASAP. So I’m planting a month early.

Yesterday I opened my winter tunnel and checked inside. No mice in any of the traps. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I don’t think I see any more mouse damage to the remaining plants.  I left the tunnel with only the row covering layer, no plastic outer layer, since the weather for the next several days will be above 28 degrees F and rain is coming. It gets pretty dry in the tunnel. Right now there is a lot of arugula, some small spinach, and several types of herbs growing.

No comments: