Wednesday, September 20, 2017

wet weather harvest

Today I spent a hour or so at my community garden plot. Tasks:

Pick red raspberries
Harvest 4 big butternut squash
Pick ripe tomatoes, eggplant, peppers
Pull and compost dead tomatoes plants
Pull and compost spent summer squash vines
Weed escarole bed with my Dutch hoe
Sow seeds for Daikon, salad radish, and spinach to replace a row of escarole eaten by chipmunks

The good part was I didn't need to water the garden. Bad part, I got soaked by the rain (tropical storm Jose) that we've had a couple days now.

I am just now noticing that it's only 3 weeks til our average first frost date (Oct10). How can that be!  It's been in the 70-80s this week and not much below 50F at night. Crazy weather, but I won't complain about warmth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think all these hurricanes are pushing warm air our way. No rain outside of Albany, NY

Anonymous said...

Here on coastal Washington state our summer weather has been unusually hot and dry and as of a week ago the weather dramatically changed to cool and wet, fall is definitely in the air. Most of the harvest is done except for lettuces, beets and dahlias. My leeks and swiss chard are growing nicely for winter harvest and a second planting of shallots for spring. Always sad to see the end of summer. organic NW gardener

kathy said...

Those sudden weather changes are hard on the garden. It's interesting you are planting shallots not. Do you use bulbs? Seed? I usually plant seeds in February with my onion seeds.

Anonymous said...

I grow my shallots from bulbs from the previous growing season...when the foliage died in early August (from bulbs planted in the spring) I pulled the shallots, broke apart the heads and selected 12 bulbs, fed the soil and replanted...they are now nice little plants and will grow thru our mild winter...much like garlic...we rarely if ever get snow...I will plant again in the spring from the bulbs I have saved...my shallots store very well from year to year so I always have a steady supply... so sorry about your pears... love giving away veggies and flowers but having them taken, not so much...nw organic gardener