Saturday, January 02, 2016

2015 garden review

I'm working on reviewing crops I grew in 2015 and listing what to do different (or the same) this year. The list is long so I posted it here: Kathy's 2015 crops review. Once I finish this, I'll draw up my 2016 garden plans.

2015 vegetable garden crop review

Apples: My four little trees are in their second winter. I picked 5 apples from one tree last year, but the trees are all small and need to grow. They seem healthy. In the spring, I sprayed with horticultural oil. I didn’t fertilize, which I think I should do this year. I have ground up leaf mulch directly under the trees and I seeded clover and wildflowers between the trees. I’ll see if that grows this year. It will provide flowers for my bees and the legumes should help the sandy soil. The deer fence around the trees is unattractive and it would be nice to remove or replace it this year. 2016: Dormant prune before growth begins and train after growth resumes in spring. Spray with dormant oil in spring at first sign of green growth. Send out a soil test in early spring and fertilize by their recommendations. Work on legume ground cover below and deer fences.

Asparagus: I have a very small bed (about 5x2 ft) at my community plot. I moved it last spring because it was getting shaded by a lilac. I’d like to buy more plants and give it a much larger space. I don’t know whether it should be at my community plot or at home. I will see how my plans work out for space. 2016: find a bed for asparagus and order plants.
(...more)

1 comment:

kathy said...

Bodeesha, you snuck that add in there. Don't you have s comment on my apple trees?

They're growing on quite a steep slope so I do hope l can retain enough nutrients for them. I have cut the slope into three small berms and place our everpresent rocks on them. The tree me have their own rock retaining wall giving the n flat surface the size of their drip line. What do you thing? Will this be adequate or will I as ways loose nutrients down the slope?