Sunday, June 07, 2015

today's garden work

My husband got me two nice plastic boxes that I filled with garden stuff, one for each of my vegetable gardens. The boxes are black so they won't detract from garden beauty. The stuff: Twins, clippers, plant labels and pens, gloves (which I never wear), sunscreen, tissues, wire for hoops, fertilizer.

I added a few leftover bags of topsoil (I don't know why we had these, I hate plastic bags of stuff) to my 6th bed, turned it, raked flat, then planted 1 row green beans (Maxibel) and 4 rows edamame soybeans (2 Butterbeans and something else). I used a two year old package of inoculant for the soybeans. Bed #6 is now half planted with room left for some succession plantings of green beans.

In planting the beans, I realized I have no room left for shell beans. I knew when I moved the asparagus earlier in the spring, I knew this would take the space of something else, but I didn't think ahead to what it would be. Well, when the sweet potato starts arrived (forgot I ordered those) I planted the in the next available bed. The soy bean bed. So today I figured out that my decision time had come: soy beds or shell beans. No shell beans this year.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Sounds like things are going along really well. I tend to run out of room too, and over-plan v. how much space I have. I've been getting into container gardening for just that reason, plus I enjoy experimenting. Mel at catesgarden

Anonymous said...

you moved your asparagus? Details please! I've been told it's best to just start over with new plants because it won't survive being dug up. On the other hand, it does seem to be a rather determined plant.

kathy said...

Im not bothering the plants too much. They're heavily mulched and I'm watering them. I'll see what happens next spring. But looks to me like three are surviving and many three died.

They weren't growing where they were, so it seemed worth it to try moving might have been better to buy plants, but the move was a late decision. I see the point now though that to get a new bed healthy fast, these transplants may not be worth it. If I had moved it when it was dormant I think that would have been a lot better.