Monday, January 27, 2014

draft 2 of my new 2014 garden

Microsoft PowerPoint - 2014 Garden diagram v2.pptx This is my plan for my big new garden in my backyard!

Lots of room for tomatoes - I'm looking forward to canning enough the last the winter next year. Same with potatoes - I'll have enough room to grow baskets of potatoes for storage all winter. Lots of room for greens, spinach, lettuce, mustards, arugula, and bok choy. Room for green beans, soy beans and shell beans. Even space for cutting flowers, mostly zinnias and small sunflowers, I think.

Since I planted my garlic in my community garden plot last fall, I'll keep that garden too this year. My espaliered pears are there. This fall I'll move them to my backyard. I've planned to put crops that need less attention in my community plot. (I'm also the Garden Coordinator for at least another year, so I'd like to spend time there to keep up with how things are going.)

So I'll be busy in the garden this year!!! What fun. Microsoft PowerPoint - 2014 Garden diagram v3.pptx

8 comments:

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Looks great, everything you need just outside the back door, how lovely! How about doing Dahlias in your cutting garden, we have some tall ones at the Lottie, there are some beautiful colours and varying petal shapes and they look lovely in vases around the house. Ours lasted in to mid October in 2013.
Marian (LondonUK)

donkenzie said...

Wow, that is so much garden! How much time do you spend usually per day maintaining?

kathy said...

I think I usually spent about 2 days a week on my gardens. About a full (6 hour) weekend day and two half ( 3 hour) days mid-week. Last year, I think less than half of that, and maybe a bit more some other years. Its hard to separate the time out as I spend a lot of time running our community garden.

I am hoping to spend about 3 hours a day in the garden this year. If I can get out there early, there will be lots of time left in the day. Of course, my problem will be leaving the garden to do other things.

kathy said...

Yes dahlias! I will leave space for dahlias. I have tubers for 3 varieties that I brought up to my parents basement this fall.

Thanks for reminding me!

Angie said...

Wow, you've got a lot of space to work with! Looks like my dream garden. I hope you'll be posting pictures as you get into growing season. I would love to see them!

kathy said...

Its my dream house and yard. Can't believe how lucky I am! I'm hoping to get a good photo vantage like my old garden so I can continue my gardening photo journal here.

Connie said...

Wow! What a great layout. Your garden is bigger than my house!

kathy said...

I think my drawing might be still too big. I might reduce my new garden to the size of my two old gardens (even though I'll keep my community plot at least for this year). My home garden was 265 and community plot is 350 sq ft. 975 total.

A 15 x 60 garden (900 sq ft) would have six 4x12 beds plus two over sized 6x15 beds for potatoes.

And I can always keep my community plot if I find I can tend all this space and use all the produce.