Sunday, February 03, 2013

indoor gardening

orchid window 090

orchid unnamed phal 037 orchid lc trick or treat  079

orchid cat burana beauty 007 amaryllis red lion 085

orchid den tanida 019 orchid den ise x sachi 070
I brought 3 orchids back with me from Florida earlier this month. I packed them in a travel tube and carried them on the airplane. They made it home fine, only a little crushed. A magenta dendrobium, an orange and red cattleya and a small unnamed pink dendrobium. The red cattleya, burana beauty, is amazing. I have never had an orchid with such a beautiful scent. These new plants have joined my old orchids and a couple amaryllis on the window sill.

Below are some old photos of orchids on my sill that I never posted. They add some more color here.

white orchid white orchid orange orchid

6 comments:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Very Beautiful orchids! Are they in a north facing window? I love what looks like watercolors in the three last ones. How do you do that?

kathy said...

Window faces east, but with a big tree blocking much of the sun.

The watercolors are made using an old software from my Olympus camera. I don;t think I have it any more and I loved it too. I wish I could find i again.

Marian(LondonUK) said...

How lovely Kathy, a veritable cheering cornucopia of colour and beauty. The Amarylis is so striking, it makes me sad when I see them being sold as cut flowers, they fade so quickly and after all their growth effort they should remain attached to their bulb. I had 3 orchids in our kitchen (east facing window as yours) 2 passed on but 1 remains and after much talking to and care it has bloomed again, hooray! Smuggling plants ehh!!
Marian(LondonUK)

Dewberry / Amanita said...

Nice view! Almost like you have your own flower shop! :)

Diane C said...

I never knew orchids had a scent. Some of my friends grow them and they have no scent at all.

kathy said...

This cattelya is my first scented orchid Ive read that most catleyas have a nice scent, but these are not such a common orchid to grow. I think phaleanopsis and dendrobiums are the most commonly grown orchids around here and few of these rare scented. I've heard there is a chocolate scented orchid and one that smElls like a hotdog with mustard on it. Hmmm.... I am thinking of getting a vanilla orchid maybe someday. They have fragrant vanilla scented flowers and produce vanilla beans. However I've pretty much reachedv my space limit with my collection now.