Sunday, February 10, 2013

2013 garden plans

Garden plan 2013
While snowed in, I worked on my Garden Plan for the coming season. Its just a guide for me, and I don't follow it to the letter. The most important parts of the Plan are making sure the locations of the potatoes and roots are rotated. Also, reminding me that there is a limit to the amount of space I have and I shouldn't go too crazy with planting seeds.

A couple things I plan to do differently this year:
- Move the cucumbers to a bed of their own so they don't over run the eggplants.
- Grow only half as many Butternut squash, 5 plants instead of 10.
- Try shell beans (Jacob's Cattle and Cannelloni), since beans do OK in my shadier plots.
- Grow more carrots, beets, and onions.
- Grow a row of heirloom tomatoes in my sunniest spot at home (in my cold frame), and a row of late-blight resistant tomatoes at my community plot.
- Don't plant basil under the tomatoes again in case I want to spray the tomatoes. (I lost my basil last year.) Probably nothing should be under the tomatoes.
- Save more seeds. I want to pick 2 or 3 of my favorite crops and begin saving their seeds.

2 comments:

Mike the Gardener said...

That is a great plan .... I have mine written in words, but not drawn up in diagram format yet. Waiting for the snow to melt to get exact measurements. I am adding new blueberry and raspberry bushes this year.

Morgan said...

I love your garden layout.

I do find that creating a garden design is essential, which a lot of people I've spoken to over look.

The amount of times that I've created them on paper, which always seems to get lost not matter how careful I am with them.

I found a great one over at growaveg.com, this one really helped me out. The only trouble I find now is sometimes needing someone to help with the computer side. :)

The Blooming Oasis