2013 garden plans
While snowed in, I worked on my Garden Plan for the coming season. Its just a guide for me, and I don't follow it to the letter. The most important parts of the Plan are making sure the locations of the potatoes and roots are rotated. Also, reminding me that there is a limit to the amount of space I have and I shouldn't go too crazy with planting seeds.
A couple things I plan to do differently this year:
- Move the cucumbers to a bed of their own so they don't over run the eggplants.
- Grow only half as many Butternut squash, 5 plants instead of 10.
- Try shell beans (Jacob's Cattle and Cannelloni), since beans do OK in my shadier plots.
- Grow more carrots, beets, and onions.
- Grow a row of heirloom tomatoes in my sunniest spot at home (in my cold frame), and a row of late-blight resistant tomatoes at my community plot.
- Don't plant basil under the tomatoes again in case I want to spray the tomatoes. (I lost my basil last year.) Probably nothing should be under the tomatoes.
- Save more seeds. I want to pick 2 or 3 of my favorite crops and begin saving their seeds.
Labels: garden diagrams