This is a journal of my vegetable gardens. Skippy was my first dog and he thought the garden was his, even though I did all the work. But Skippy always stood by me and was a great friend. Now Suzie and Charley follow in his footsteps and garden with me. We're located near Boston (USDA zone 6A). I have a community plot, a backyard vegetable garden, fruit trees and berry bushes, chickens and bees. I use sustainable organic methods and do my best to grow all of my family's vegetables myself.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

maturing butternut squashes on my arbor

butternut squash  023 butternut squash  024 butternut squash  021

I've counted about 14 big squashes coming along.

butternut squash  020

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger GirlRural.com said...

Wow, these look great! I'll have to add these to my list for next year. I guess I never thought of having them grow on an arbor.

August 25, 2012 3:50 PM

 
Blogger Dawn said...

Those butternuts are glorious. Favorite veggie pic of the season from all blogs I read.

August 25, 2012 6:14 PM

 
Blogger becky3086 said...

Wonderful! Wish I had some!

August 25, 2012 8:26 PM

 
Blogger Sustainably Modern said...

I found butternut squash to be quite productive as well here in Texas. Now, I harvested mine months ago, but I was able to get 16 from just 2.5 plants. I say 2.5 because one was under heavy squash bug attack.

August 28, 2012 2:42 PM

 
Anonymous Marian(LondonUK) said...

Flip, wonderful. I would be so proud to have these. Even though we manure etc., we don't get good butternuts. Wonder why? Good for you. Soup, roasties, breads etc. A wonderful harvest.

August 28, 2012 4:36 PM

 
Blogger Jaime...My Love said...

Butternut squash and rosemary lasagna, yum!

August 31, 2012 3:17 PM

 
Blogger Darcia Mather said...

Wow! What a great idea, growing your squash over an arbour - I'm going to have a go at that... Will save having them sprawling over the ground - I wonder if growing them on netting on a fence will work in the interim, my "to-do" list is already massive! Great blog, thanks for the inspiration :-)

September 18, 2012 9:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home















your ad here

    kathy@skippysgarden.com


Irrigation Direct Drip irrigation kits from Irrigation Direct













garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden garden