Tuesday, April 17, 2012

time to plant potatoes

My seed potatoes arrived in the mail today. I will see if I can get time tomorrow to start to prepare their bed. I want to gather a few wheelbarrows full of compost from the piles at the edges of our community garden, then turn these under. Then I will dig two long trenches and plant the tubers in these. I ordered four varieties of potatoes from Fedco and they are waiting in the cool basement now for planting.

Other updates, we had a super work day at our community garden on Saturday. I hope to post photos soon.

On Sunday, I planted seeds for cucumbers, watermelons, basil, dill, and cilantro. They are under my plant lights now, but nearly all of my seedlings I moved outside to the cold frame, at least temporarily. It has been very hot (highs about 80*F) and sunny, so I am saving my light bulbs. The pepper and chili seedlings are inside where it's a little warmer at night.

The number of garden items I am eating is very gradually increasing. I still have lots of spinach and kale, also a bit of escarole and lettuce. Last week I also harvested a pot of extra dwarf bok choy that matured before it got transplanted. It made a really nice side dish over rice. Stored from last year, I have about a dozen heads of garlic left, a few tiny onions and lots of dried chilies. I am watching my asparagus sprout. I expect this weekend I may have enough for nice meal. Exciting. My bed is four years old now and I'm hoping this will be my first year with good asparagus

9 comments:

Donald said...

Do you greensprout your potaotes before planting, my potatoes came on monday Argia and Eramosa A 2-3 week greensprout ensures all potaotes get a head start. Going to open the bag next week and start the process, can potatoes be planted before the frost date our frost date in Ontario Canada is on May 24

Atlantic Homecare said...

I am watching my asparagus sprout. I expect this weekend I may have enough for nice meal.
Thanks for sharing with us.

becky3086 said...

Sounds like things are moving along well. I did not get any asparagus this year. It is the second year in the ground here but the spears were too small this year. Hopefully next year.

Linda said...

I set my potatoes to chit on the 10th and they are starting to sprout. I hope to have the bed ready in time to plant.

Anonymous said...

I used up my asparagus. Rest is too thin to be cut. I planted them last year from 3 year old roots. I am very happy with them, thought I wish I boughed mail kind as these seed allot. When it comes to potatoes, I put them in a ground today. Could not wait any longer. Gambled as weather was nice but will see :]
Huli

Ann said...

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only gardener who's eating some of their transplants before they are even moved out into the garden. :) I always feel guilty when I do that - but they are SOOO delicious! :)

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Potato planting is great, it is the thought of running your hands through the soil in a few months time and pulling out fresh edibles!
Monty Don who is the lead presenter on Gardener's World recommended putting some Newspaper into the trenches to help with drought.
Happy planting!
Marian (LondonUK)

Angela said...

It sounds like you are going to have a great harvest! Keep up the excellent work.

Karla said...

I'm trying potato growing bags this year. From what I'm reading the yields are higher and it's less work to dig out the potatoes. I have 9 bags going with 4 different kinds of potatoes and I'm excited to see how it goes. http://www.gardeners.com/Potato-Grow-Bag-Instructions/7099,default,pg.html