Friday, March 19, 2010

planting peas and favas

plot work 031
plot work 019 plot work 022

I did get my peas planted on Wednesday - St Patrick's Day. I planted three rows:

Sugar Sprint (Johnny's) snap pea, 2 ft vines, 58 days
Caselode shelling pea (Johnny's), shelling pea, 2 1/2 ft vines, 57 days
RSVPea (Burpee) shelling pea, 3 1/2 ft vines, 56 days

And I planted a block of crimson-flowered fava beans that Dan grew and hand-collected.

I had some "help" from the canine crew. Bannor, my brother's dog who's here for the week, was especially interested. I thought it was great that he wanted to check out the seeds - Skippy has never shown much interest. But he wasn't only sniffing, he popped a fava seed in his mouth and enjoyed crunching on it for quite a while. Oops. I covered them up more quickly after that!

I also spread some cover crop seed on beds that I will use for corn and squashes this year. This is an experiment as I don't know if it will grow much before I turn the soil.

plot work 033

9 comments:

Heather's Garden said...

I didn't get my peas in until the day after St. Patrick's Day, but much earlier than I ever have before. I hope this nice weather lasts through the entire gardening season. I do not want a repeat of last year. Aren't these warm temps just killing you? I want to plant everything now!

Unknown said...

Ben's pup is beautiful...a wonderful addition. How'd the visit go, any comment from Skippy?

Dan said...

Looks like a nice evening at the plot. Good luck with the crimsons!

biobabbler said...

woah, your garden is GORGEOUS! So tidy and well-defined. I'm so excited to watch stuff start sprouting!

grace said...

Hello,
I live in West Newton and have a raised garden bed. Have you tried garden wire over chicken wire and know the difference or benefits of over the other?

kathy said...

I don't know what garden wire is - never heard of this.

kathy said...

HI Alice, Skippy had a great time with Bannor! They wore each other out.

grace said...

Garden wire is 3" inch square openings formatted in the same way that chicken wire is. I am just wondering if chicken wire is really the most successful way to keep out birds, squirrels and rabbits, before putting up either chicken wire or garden wire.
Thanks!

Matron said...

That's wonderful! I sent Dan those crimson flowered beans a couple of years ago! They are an old heritage variety and it is brilliant to see them making a comeback in North America!!