Sunday, December 06, 2009

mizuna

I am researching mizuna. It was included in a fall greens mix I grew this year and did very well and tastes great. I had to post a photo and ask the name.

Mizuna is a Japanese name used primarily for cultivated varieties of Brassica rapa (commonly known as field mustard or turnip mustard) or Brassica juncea (mustard greens, Indian mustard and leaf mustard).

The taste of mizuna has been described as a "piquant, mild peppery flavor...slightly spicy, but less so than arugula. It's used in stir-frys, soups, and nabemono (Japanese steamboat dishes, also known as one pot dishes).

Mizuna is a vigorous grower producing numerous stalks bearing dark green, deeply cut and fringed leaves. It has a very nice thick white root that smells spicy. I'm trying the find recipes for mizuna root. It looks like horseradish. Any ideas?

8 comments:

Deborah Bier, PhD said...

Kathy, I've had the same thoughts about red mustard roots, which are said to be edible, but how? Since they smell like horseradish, I wonder if they can be made into something like grated horseradish? Which can then be used for the things you use horseradish for. Here's what looks like an easy approach: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_prepare_horseradish/

Let us know if you try this and how it came out! Sniffles season is here and it would be great to clear those sinuses while enjoying some homegrown horseradish-esque preparations! -- Debbie

Pam said...

Hi Kathy,
You may want to consider tat soi as well. Tat soi tastes like a milder version of mustard greens and has a texture similar to bok choy. It's low in calories yet high in minerals, vitamins, and health-promoting antioxidants. For more information: http://foodblogga.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-is-tat-soi.html It is such a pretty plant as well.
Enjoy!
Pam

kathy said...

I have Tat soi too. I was considering a row of these as an ornamental in the front yard next year. It is very a very pretty plant. I like the Mizuna taste better though. I will give the Tat soi another try. I want to go to my plot and harvest the rest before our temperatures go way down.

The horseradish ideas sound good. I just popped the root into the fridge and will try something later with it.

Daphne Gould said...

I've always wondered about those roots. I grow purple mizuna and the roots are purple too. I've never tried to eat them but always thought about it. Let us know how it goes.

pjkobulnicky said...

I used to grow Mizuna and thought that it was one of the most beautiful greens in my garden. But I stopped because my wife and I were having a tough time eating it. The long, thin and relatively fibrous stems, which make up the bulk of the plant are really hard to chew and swallow. Not worth the trouble.

I've never considered the root.

james said...

Cool piece. I've always wanted to try and grow greens year round but living in Maine, it ain't easy ;). Anyway, this article has some good winter gardening tips so I thought I'd share. Enjoy!
/www.life123.com/home-garden/gardening-tips/planting-zone/winterizing-your-garden-2.shtml

June said...

We love the mizuna greens. I'd love to know how to use the roots. Such a hardly little plant. Before we got our foot of snow today, it was still out there, frilled and green.

kathy said...

I composted the root. I wasn't creative enough to try it.