- Late Blight hit my home tomatoes yesterday. The New Girl and Orange Blossom plant are heavily infected. Others OK so far. I'm picking the fruits now as soon as they show any red to ripen inside.
- Funny how some of my eggplants and peppers are rotting. The plants look OK. I'm wondering if its late blight. I'm thinking it probably is, but I read that this is unusual. Hmmm.
- I picked all my popcorn - about 50 ears! (I'll get a good count soon.) Its waiting to be shucked and hung to dry. I looking forward to having it hanging in the kitchen.
- I have a couple big bowls of vegetables waiting for me on the kitchen counter. A true sign of late summer. It will make a nice batch of red sauce. This year's will be heavier on the carrots, onions, and squashes and lighter on the tomatoes, but delicious no doubt.
- I've picked 4 or 5 big butternuts so far. I have to remember to bring big strong bags with me when I go to the garden these days.
- My Chiogga beets were pale, almost white inside last time I cooked them. And not as sweet as last year. Disappointing. I guess I let them get too big. I didn't realize this would happen. Or maybe something to do with the wet weather?
- My pumpkins are getting big. Two Big Rock and several Jarrahdale's. I heard on TV that many commercial growers have very small pumpkins this year due to cool early summer weather. I'll count myself lucky.